I am an experienced online media and project manager interested in creating experiences that entice users and that drive revenue and grow traffic. I have excellent organizational and people skills; I know how to build great teams and cool websites, on time and on budget. I’m good with clients and more than capable of managing expectations and delivering on promises.
2014-PRESENT Phase2, Alexandria, VA
Managing a portfolio of client relationships with projects totalling $4-$6 million a year, handling the client relationship throughout it’s lifecycle with Phase2.
- Building and growing our relationship with our clients.
- Providing escalation and resolution for client issues.
- Working with the delivery teams to provide the right team, the right solution and ensuring the team provides value for the client.
- Cross-selling and up-selling clients on Phase2’s services, in concert with the sales team.
- Assisting in sales and deal teams, crafting solutions for clients and developing estimates.
2012-2014 Phase2, Alexandria, VA
Managed projects for multiple clients, and oversaw other project management resources. Projects included large-scale Drupal platform deployments for government and publishing clients. Worked with a team of developers, analysts and designers to produce CMS platforms for multiple site deployments.
- Managing multiple projects at a time, with budgets up into seven figures.
- Planning and scheduling for projects, organizing resources, budgets and deliverables.
- Project Manager for the Open Public Drupal distribution.
- Clients include state of Georgia, state of North Carolina, county of San Mateo, Red Hat, Atmos Energy, The Nation magazine, US Senate Sergeant at Arms and Bassmaster.com.
Director of Audience Growth
2008 – 2011 Morris Digitalworks, Augusta, GA
Focused on the deployment of programs, practices and content that led to increased audience engagement. Worked in close coordination with all product groups to develop a shared vision of how to grow traffic on Morris websites.
- Led the collaborative design and development of a standard template and feature set for all Morris newspaper websites as part of the deployment of Drupal as the main site management platform for all of Morris’ news sites.
- Acted as an advocate within Morris Digitalworks on behalf of Morris business units.
- Develop relationships with the management at Morris business units.
- Identified, communicated and promoted best audience growth practices and traffic generating opportunities from both internal and external organizations.
- Managed the web development team of 10 designers and developers at Morris Digitalworks, focused on development and deployment of websites on the Drupal platform.
- Responsible for market analysis, focusing on increasing the frequency of site visits, moving a site visitor from an occasional guest to a frequent user. Familiar with Google Analytics and Omniture Site Catalyst.
Director of Professional Services
and Content Management Systems
2006 – 2008 Morris Digitalworks, Augusta, GA
Managed multiple departments with 17 to 20 employees and up to 25 contractors. Teams included design, usability and quality assurance, documentation, website development, content management systems, and the contract labor pool. Duties included budgeting, hiring, firing, project management and strategic planning.
- Developed contract labor program and recruited pool of workers for Morris Digitalworks to ensure the team had the right resources at the right times. Managed both in-house and remote workers.
- Led my team to set standards for HTML, usability, quality assurance, documentation and project management across all the teams at Morris Digitalworks.
- Developed and maintained master calendar for Morris Digitalworks.
- Managed the development and releases of web applications, including Spotted, a top news industry photo sharing tool.
- Project manager for the development of the multi-location Skirt.com, the online version of Skirt! magazine, in Drupal. This project was the genesis of the Domain module.
- Used open source content management systems (Drupal and Joomla) to launch multiple websites quickly and efficiently, including kwhl.com, kmxs.com, charlottemagazine.com and falcon.com.
- Worked with multiple teams to develop requirement, scope work and schedule site and software development.
- Mentored new managers and project managers.
Manager of Design and Development
2003 – 2006 Morris Digitalworks, Augusta, GA
Managed an 8 to 12 person team of designers, developers and project managers to develop new websites, redesign existing Morris Communications websites. Duties included budgeting, hiring, firing, personnel and project management, planning and managing new site development and complete site redesigns. Worked with Morris Communications’ various business units to enrich and improve their websites, and execute new web strategies.
- Project manager and departmental lead on design, development and deployment of award-winning Augusta.com Masters site, Savannahnow.com redesign of 2006 (Drupal site), and Jacksonville.com’s Super Bowl XXXIX coverage.
- Managed the development and configuration of an easily deployed blogging solution that integrated with existing registration for Morris websites, using Drupal.
- Worked with clients and internal business units to assess needs and scope website development work.
Senior Editor and Assistant Manager
2000 – 2003 Content Team, Morris Digitalworks, Augusta, GA
Duties included site maintenance and planning, breaking news coverage online, small team management, project management, customer support and new site development. During time as senior editor, in charge of Quest for the Presidency, a 2000 presidential election site; online September 11th coverage for Morris Communications websites; early Iraq war coverage for Morris Communications websites.
- Webmaster for Quest for the Presidency (quest.morris.com), a political site covering the 2000 presidential election.
- Led the development of new websites and content verticals, such as weddings and holidays sites.
- Project manager for numerous commercial websites, including client interviews for scoping, creating project plans and coordinating the deployment of the sites.
Police/General Assignment Reporter, Lawrence Journal World, Lawrence, KS 1998-2000
Copy Editor, Casper Star-Tribune, Casper, WY 1996-1998
University of Colorado at Boulder , Bachelor of Science in Journalism, News-editorial